[Sca-cooks] A Noble Book of Royal Feasts

Thu Jun 27 11:37:26 PDT 2002

That's just it, they didn't miss it.  It is more commonly referred to as the
Pynson edition of The Boke of Cookery.  The only known copy is at Longleat.
The book is known primarily to antiquarian bibliophiles and culinary
historians.  The news article is a little more hyperbolic than factual about
this "new" find.

It was originally thought to be another version of The Boke of Cookery, but
there are major differences and as Johnna has pointed out the actual title
is "This is the boke of cokery."  "Here begynneth a noble boke of festes
ryalle and cokery..." is actually the opening line.

A number of culinary scholars have seen and worked with the text, but for
various reasons Johnna documented in her presentation at CooksCon II, no one
has published a full transcription and translation.  Brears has published
some recipes taken from the book, one of which I used about two years ago in
preparing my Elizabethean feast.  Specifically, the recipe for whiting
served in apple and wine sauce.

As a guess, I would say that Kate Harris, the Longleat librarian, may be one
of the prime movers in getting the book out of limbo.

Bear