[Sca-cooks] Restaurants in Eugene, was:OOP-vacation restaurants...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jun 27 14:51:52 PDT 2002

At 11:41 AM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:

>>If you think you'll pause in Eugene, I can give you quite a few
>>recommendations... :-)
>
>I'll probably be in Eugene in the Fall what are your recommendations, please.
>
>         Thanks.
>         Angeline

Kewl!

#1-
China Delight, on Willamette next to the train station. old-fashioned,
home-style Chinese fare. And no Master A, I don't know what region. They do
mostly Cantonese and Szechwan dishes though. Mama runs the front, sometimes
with help of college-age sons, Papa runs the back. A funky and eclectic
little place. And the Garlic Chicken is good enough to commit felonies for.
The Almond Chicken Subgum is wonderful, very light sauce, the Szechwan
anything and Kung Pao anything are good. And not all of it is deep fried!
Well, honestly, I've never had a bad meal there. Lunch is  a steal, and I
also fed eight Sluggettes and myself for roughly $100 dollars (gift to
retinue just before I stepped down). it was _such_ a deal, even if the
girls were hogging the Garlic Chicken on one end of the table... And Oh-
can't forget this part- tell Lee (Mama) that 'Mary' sent you (long story,
and I'm not going to correct her at this late date). You'll probably get
extra touches ;-) Prices low-to mid.

Anatolia, on 19th and Willamette, has wonderful Greek-Indian food-
delightful curries, eggplant, yum yum yum... Sunday and Thursday nights
it's all Greek and becomes Poppi's Anatolia for the evening. Mid-range prices.

Cafe Soriah, on 13th just east of Lawrence- Mediterranean food, leaning
towards Lebanese. Internation flair, Northwest touch. Best lamb kabobs I've
ever had- better than mine! Downright sinful tabbouleh. Quiet, adult,
elegant. But Eugene- Birkenstocks are everywhere... Mid to upper mid prices.

Pegasus Pizza is just off campus on 14th. Parking is sometimes difficult.
But the pizza is really good. The smoked chicken especially. Low to mid
prices.

Rose and Thistle- Fish and Chips, not in newspaper, but otherwise pretty
close to the real thing. Little hole-inthe-wall on 11th at Mill, just  few
blocks west of campus. Low price range.

Steelhead Brewery- brewpub/sport bar (more tvs than Best Buy). Good
Northwest fare, decent beer. A leetle noisy if there's a game on :-) On
5th, across the street from 5th street Market. Upper-mid on prices.

Taco Loco, corner of 7th and Blair (cross street if you're coming from 11th
is Monroe).Really terrific Mexican and Central American food. Clean crisp
flavors. Nothing I've eaten was bogged down with too much grease and
cheddar and such. They also have a fun array of drinks. I had a margarita
once that was rimmed with purple salt that left a stain on my lips. Garden
patio sort of atmoshpere. And- Oscar, the owner, was VERY generous with us
during the Slug Queens' fundraising campaign for the library, and made a
sizable contribution to the fund. Oscar believes in Eugene, and I believe
in Oscar. Just beware of his tequila shooters! (he even has shot glasses
across his chest bandellero-style- Oscar is a hoot!) If you meet him, tell
him Queen Carmen Slugana sent you!

West Brothers! Yee-haw! Amazing Barbeque! Unique blends, Northwest,
Southwest, Texas... oh god... and they have a brewery in the basement
(Eugene is just as much into microbrew as Portland is). The desserts are to
die for, and unless she's moved on, one of the bakers is a former baroness
of Adiantum. On the back of the menu, in the Srehtorb Tsew (West Brothers
backwards!) section, is the truly unique and bizarre combos that are...
uh... interesting to look at, few sure! Also, owned by the same guys, next
door is a pizzaria/Italian restaurant called Mona Lizza's, also very good,
shares the bakery and brew. Both busy weekend evenings. Both mid-to high
price range, but worth it.

And last but not least- there are three McMenamin's Brewpubs in Eugene
(yes, they are allover the state. Edouard and I even found one in sleepy
little Roseburg). Th same terrific McM's fare (good salads, and
sandwhiches, great burgers), and good beer. They are: High Street Brewery
and Cafe, on High Street between 12th and 13th ( fairly close to campus);
East 19th Street cafe, at 19th and Agate, just behind campus and crawling
distance to the ROTC building ;-), and a fairly new one, in the old North
Bank Restaurant building up by Valley Rive Center. Always a good fallback.
If you sit outside on teh back patio at High Street in teh fall- beware-
the trees have been known to drop an apple into your beer ;-)

Now- the important note- these are all restaurants I have eaten in and like
well enough to recommend. If I haven't eaten there, or if I did and didn't
like it, it isn't on the list. So it's highly subjective. But at least you
know who to beat if you don't like the food! ;-D)

'Lainie