[Sca-cooks] Frozen penis

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 28 08:21:32 PDT 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>they'll be appearing on my feast table, but I found myself wondering
>about something.  I don't remember seeing period recipes for penis,
>though there are recipes for nearly every other part of edible
>mammals.  I've seen recipes for brains, spleen, testicles, ears, and
>tails, but none for penis.  Have I overlooked something, or is there a
>reason why this part of the anatomy would have been omitted from
>the cookbooks?  (And if it's not generally considered edible, why
>was it being sold?)  And what kind of beast was it from, anyhow?

After slightly more serious reflection...

...I would guess that there are probably enough non-culinary uses,
ranging from the herbal-humoral medicine of the Far East (okay,
that's on the fringe of culinary, I guess), to various leather
artifacts such as the stretched and dried whips made from the penises
of various animals.

Then there was that one penis recipe (North African???) contributed
to this list orginally, I believe, by HM Alys Katherine, which
suggests the idea is not totally unheard of. I must remember to check
"Unmentionable Cuisine".

And then again, there may be simply a lot of cultures who might be
turned off by the idea for one reason or another, not necessarily
because of its function as a sex organ (although for all I know, this
is exactly it) but possibly because of its excretory function. In
fact, consider the possibility of this item's role (and other items
like it) in the historical etymology of the word "naughty".

I'll tell you one thing: I'll bet you serious money they ain't Kosher ;-)

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER