[Sca-cooks] Frozen penis

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 08:16:36 PDT 2002

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Get your minds out of the gutter!  You, in the back,
> stop that
> snickering!  This is a serious culinary question.
>
> I was in a local Asian grocery store last night,
> browsing for posible
> feast ingredients.  In the freezer case, near the
> squab and the
> rabbits, were packages labelled simply, "penis".
> They contained
> cross-section slices about 2 inches in diameter.  I
> really don't think
> they'll be appearing on my feast table, but I found
> myself wondering
> about something.  I don't remember seeing period
> recipes for penis,
> though there are recipes for nearly every other part
> of edible
> mammals.  I've seen recipes for brains, spleen,
> testicles, ears, and
> tails, but none for penis.  Have I overlooked
> something, or is there a
> reason why this part of the anatomy would have been
> omitted from
> the cookbooks?

Well, I think you've overlooked Queen Alys' posted
period recipe. I think Stefan stashed it in his
Florilegium. I'm surprised- it gets mentioned every
now and again.

 (And if it's not generally
> considered edible, why
> was it being sold?)  And what kind of beast was it
> from, anyhow?

Depends who you're talking to. Asians tend to cook
everything, while Americans turn their noses up at
certain body parts or species. Americans tend to turn
their noses up at fish heads, too, but I was taught to
both cook and enjoy them by a Filipino lady. I suspect
it has to do with the availability of animal protein
in a culture- if there's a lot, people get picky. If
there isn't, they learn to make what they have edible.

In this case, from your description, I suspect it was
bull or steer penis. The only other animal that it
might be is horse, from the size. Pig penises are
rather corkscrew shaped.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,