[Sca-cooks] Frozen penis

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 28 07:22:00 PDT 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>Get your minds out of the gutter!  You, in the back, stop that
>snickering!  This is a serious culinary question.
>
>I was in a local Asian grocery store last night, browsing for posible
>feast ingredients.  In the freezer case, near the squab and the
>rabbits, were packages labelled simply, "penis".  They contained
>cross-section slices about 2 inches in diameter.  I really don't think
>they'll be appearing on my feast table, but I found myself wondering
>about something.  I don't remember seeing period recipes for penis,
>though there are recipes for nearly every other part of edible
>mammals.  I've seen recipes for brains, spleen, testicles, ears, and
>tails, but none for penis.  Have I overlooked something, or is there a
>reason why this part of the anatomy would have been omitted from
>the cookbooks?  (And if it's not generally considered edible, why
>was it being sold?)  And what kind of beast was it from, anyhow?

For whatever weird linguistic reason, I've seen what was almost
certainly the Achilles tendon of beef sold under this label. Sort of
yellow-white, cartilaginous-looking, and layered more or less
concentrically... they'd be on the shelf next to the pork large
intestines sold as "pork uteri" ;-).

I've never seen a Chinese penis recipe, but there are numerous
variants on stewed beef tendons, red-cooked, braised and served over
noodles, etc., and some similar SE-Asian variants as well, I believe.
Again, this is one of those foods prized for their texture rather
than anything much in the way of flavor.

**Of course, MY penis has always been fresh, and never frozen**

Um, I mean... uh... well, you know. It was fresh... in the... um,
market... the... um...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER