[Sca-cooks] comfort foods and age

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jun 28 16:42:04 PDT 2002

At 10:25 AM 6/28/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Margaret said:
>One year in high school I decided to see how many lunches I could make
>with peanut butter permutations
><<<
>
>Yes, but I noticed you didn't say "how many edible lunches..." :-)
>
>In second grade I had peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches for lunch
>every day. Then I grew tired of them and have disliked them ever
>since.

well, from a fellow-sufferer...

My mom is cheap- no two ways about it. Lunch through most of elementary
school was a PBnJ, sometimes just PB, with carrots or an apple (red
delicious- ick!) and maybe cookies just after payday or if I'd gotten
ambitious and baked some.

I _still_ don't eat a PBnJ but about once a year. Two or three times a year
I like to spread PB in toast and eat it open-faced, still hot. But peanut
butter and cheap brown bread... I just can't get it down.

My brother refuses macaroni and cheese for similar reasons.

Why is it that some food memories make us nostalgic, and others we find
distasteful? I know food and eating is emotionally charged, but for 30
(ulp!) years?

But tomato soup on a rainy day still rocks, after all these years. It is
raining today, and still muggy but has cooled off- I'm praying the rain
continues- we had some lightning strikes in teh mountains and they are
scrambling to put them out before we look like Colorado. More rain is good.

'Lainie