[Sca-cooks] comfort foods and age

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 20:44:49 PDT 2002

>At 10:25 AM 6/28/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >Margaret said:
> >One year in high school I decided to see how many lunches I could make
> >with peanut butter permutations
> ><<<
> >Yes, but I noticed you didn't say "how many edible lunches..." :-)
> >
> >In second grade I had peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches for lunch
> >every day. Then I grew tired of them and have disliked them ever
> >since.
>
>well, from a fellow-sufferer...
>
>My mom is cheap- no two ways about it. Lunch through most of elementary
>school was a PBnJ, sometimes just PB, with carrots or an apple (red
>delicious- ick!) and maybe cookies just after payday or if I'd gotten
>ambitious and baked some.
>
>I _still_ don't eat a PBnJ but about once a year. Two or three times a year
>I like to spread PB in toast and eat it open-faced, still hot. But peanut
>butter and cheap brown bread... I just can't get it down.
>
>My brother refuses macaroni and cheese for similar reasons.
>
>Why is it that some food memories make us nostalgic, and others we find
>distasteful? I know food and eating is emotionally charged, but for 30
>(ulp!) years?
>
>But tomato soup on a rainy day still rocks, after all these years. It
> >'Lainie

Odd how so many of you remember foodstuffs from your youth.  It makes me
jealous in a way.  I have no memory of peanut butter till I was well into my
20's e+cept what came in the C-rations I harvested from the bomb shelter
that came with the big round biscuits.  I loved those even tho the PB wasn't
very good.  Since my mom couldn't cook the only real issue we had with food
was not remembering most of it.  But I do remember chicken fresh eggs and
churned butter and fresh milk from the cow still warm and the smell of my
uncles smokehouse when I was very young.
Olwen who likes tomato soup with an egg poached in it.