[Sca-cooks] prehistoric food

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Mar 1 07:52:13 PST 2002

Found on rec.food.historic. Please reply directly to him:

I think this ng is great and such fun, may I make the following request for
idease, please?

We at Butser Ancient Farm ( Butser.org), an Iron Age farm in Southern
Britain, the place that formalised experiments in archaeology, are seeking
ideas for Iron Age foods and cooking methods. We have grown the
crops,(wheat, barley, beans), and kept the period animals for archaeological
purposes for thirty years. We are beginning to develop a cook-book, and are
thinking about methods and meals.

Has anyone any ideas on what we should prepare. We've done porridge and
roasts, but how about any ideas and evidence on combination with wild foods?
Methods too,please: like Rumex, (dock) root as a meat tenderiser, fruit
skins to supply yeast, milk as a pot sealer in the crude pottery of the
time. Methods of wheat and chaff separation.

Thanks in anticipation.J.

jonathan.west1" <jonathan.west1 at virgin.net>