[Sca-cooks] overstuffed eggs?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Mar 4 13:37:50 PST 2002

Lucrezia said:
> Three years ago I did the Stuffed Eggs recipe from Liber de Couina,
> basically hardboiled eggs stuffed with cheese, spices, yolk and fried. They
> were immensely popular and none of them survived to make it back to the
> kitchen. Here's the recipe:
>
> stuffed_eggs Stuffed Eggs - Liber de Couina  (Medieval Kitchen #118)
> Eggs: to prepare for stuffing. To make stuffed eggs, cut each one in half
> when it has been well cooked and [is] thus hard. Then remove the yolk and
> take marjoram, saffron, and cloves and mix with the yolks of those eggs; and
> mash it thoroughly, adding a little cheese. For each eight eggs, add one raw
> egg. This done, fill the egg whites with this mixture. And fry in good pork
> fat, and eat with verjuice.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this recipe starts out with a
hardboiled egg, pulls out the yolk, mixes it with more stuff including
more egg and cheese then says to stuff it back in the place where
only the hard boiled egg yolk was originally. How is it all supposed
to fit? Or are the two hardboiled egg whites not supposed to be fitted
back together with the yolk mixture inside?

Or is this more like we often see today, half a hardboiled egg white
filled with a heaping egg yolk mixture? If this is the case, then
this would seem to be a recipe that calls for just frying in a layer
of oil and not deep frying, where the egg would be totally enclosed
in the oil. Deep frying an open egg like this would seem to be
rather messy.

Lucrezia, what type(s) of cheese have you used for this recipe?

Stefan li Rous