[Sca-cooks] alternatives to honey butter

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Mon Mar 4 16:27:22 PST 2002

I have never been to a feast where honey butter was served. Ever. In 18 years of SCAing - honey butter must be a non-Lochac habit.  I haven't actually seen a period recipe for butter flavoured in any way, and would love to have some references if anyone has some!

My advice is to serve plain ordinary butter, but jazz it up visually. If you can find yourself soft flexible icemolds, you can soften butter to just melted (but not separated) and pour into the molds.  Cool, pop them out of the molds and freeze.  You can then have little dishes with great little butter shapes pile on them.

For interest, for those who would like to make their own butter - I ran a school class on medieval food, and as one of the activities, the kids made their own butter. Not having a butter churn, we used a tupperware shaker, and I was amazed at just how easily and quickly the cream turned to butter. (The kids thought it was just great, by the way, and loved the taste of fresh butter)

Kiriel