[Sca-cooks] Promoting your art

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 5 21:55:46 PST 2002

Arte commented:
> So, well...I started my own potter's guild here.  The first ceramic guild as
> far as I know in the entire knowne world and I am doing my best to promote
> ceramics to everyone.  I'm trying to create cool events myself and all that
> with the motto, "If you want something done ya do it yourself!"  Thus I do
> what I can and have fun with it.

(I've skipped ahead about ten digests to see what the current topics
are, ie a day later :-). Anyway, I may have missed some things on
this thread, however...

Arte is also doing her part to promote her specific art to others. As
well as starting the potter's guild she mentions above, she has also
submitted two articles on this artform which have been published in
the Florilegium.

If you practice another art, especially one not commonly done in the
SCA, please consider writing an article about it for the Florilegium.
An overview article. Or one detailing how the art was done in the
Middle Ages. Or an introductory one. This might just plant the seeds
of interest in the artform in another region, possibly far across
the Known World.

For instance, it was from an article on carving soapstone for pewter
casting that was posted on the Rialto back in the early 90s by (now)
Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester that I got interested in doing
this art myself. I've now been doing pewter casting in soapstone molds
for a number of years. And I know of a number of folks, many now
much better at it than I am, who first learned of the craft from
the classes I've taught at Gulf Wars and elsewhere.

So, you too can help spread the interest in an art. You don't have
to be that good. I'm not. Don't use that as an excuse.

> I just hope to be edge-a-ma-kaded one day
> so I too can proudly announce the size of my dick and finally understand
> what a cusky-nodie thing that keeps getting mentioned

See this file in the FOOD section:
cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.
:-)

Stefan, hopping down from the soapbox
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net