[Sca-cooks] teas/tisanes

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Mar 8 14:35:25 PST 2002

Avraham said:
-------------
> NOTE: I have no idea here what they mean by
> "teas" in Roman Britain.

I suspect they probably mean tisanes - what we would call "herbal teas" -
since, as you are no doubt aware, Camillia sinensis was unknown in Britain
until... hmmm, I forget the date, but quite late in our period, I think.

Tea appears to have been brought to England in the 17th Century.

If someone has information on what tisanes were used in England
during period, other than barley tea, which I do have some info
on, I'd love to add it to this file:
infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas". Barley tea.

For info on chai, see this file:
tea-msg            (7K)  9/15/98    Tea, cha. When it appeared in Europe.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net