[Sca-cooks] translation of italian recipe

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Mar 12 19:50:23 PST 2002

I amend my previous translation.  I looked at some of the other recipes
and toy is consistent with take which in modern italian is prendere and
looks nothing like toy.  Braxa is probably braciere: brazier or brace:
embers.  And specie dolce is sweet spices.  So the recipe and
translation would be something like this:

Agliata a ogni carne, toy l'aglio e coxilo sotto la braxa, poi pestalo
bene e mitili aglio crudo, e una molena de pan, e specie dolce e brodo;
e maxena ogni cossa insema e fala un pocho bolire e dala chalda.

Garlic [sauce] for every meat.  Take garlic and cook it in embers (or
under a brazier), then mash it well and mix it with raw garlic, a
"molena" of bread, sweet spices and broth; mix everything together and
let it boild a little and serve it hot.

Now it looks like a sauce I cooked from Odile Redon's French and italian
cookbook "Medieval Kitchen", which may have been a translation of this
recipe. Unfortunately it was one of the books I borrowed from the local
library so I can't get my hands on it right now.  Anyone care to
confirm.
Helewyse,
Who is at home now with access to her english:italian dictionary.