[Sca-cooks] Just barely out of period letter with food content

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Mar 12 13:02:50 PST 2002

A quote from a letter from Marie-Celeste, the daughter of Galileo, to
Galileo dated 31 October 1633. Just out of period, but charming nonetheless:

Young Ninci has recovered his health reasonably well and expressed his great
satisfaction with the assistance he received from our Geppo. Suor Luisa is
beginning to rise fairly often from her bed; Suor Caterina Angela died; the
young consumptive nun holds on, but in a bad state. The wine from San
Miniato has not come, probably detained by the heavy rains, the same reason
the broad beans have not been set in the garden, but they will be put in on
the first day the weather turns fair; the lettuce and cabbage seeds have
been sown, and there are also some onions; the artichokes are beautiful; of
lemons we have an ample supply, though only a few oranges.

margali