[Sca-cooks] ot//splenda

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Fri Mar 15 05:30:28 PST 2002

Well, you can cook with splenda, as it is heat-stable.
If the cooking process calls for sugar purely as a sweetening agent, it is
great [like the filling in pies, I do a splenda apple or pumpkin custard
that you can't tell from sugared!]
If the cooking process calls for sugar as a sweetener and texturizer you are
sh*t out of luck, although Barbara Pollok's expertfoods.com sells a
wonderful line of  goodies that she has formulated for low carbers including
a product called not/Sugar that uses dietary fiber to do some of the
texturizing that sugar is used for [like cooked sweets like jam or fruit
syrups, though it doesn't crystallize or brown, so you cant use it in fudge,
for example.]

The pourable splenda for cooking with is stretched with IIRC dextrose or
maltodextrin [or both, like the packets  stuff] and that doesn't act like
table sugar for cooking purposes. My personal preference is for the liquid
splenda, which is no longer allowed to be imported from Brazil [actually,
Johnson & Johnson Australia makes it in a factory in brazil] because the
labeling is in Portuguese not English. A limited amount of splenda is used
in liquid form by NaturesFlavors.com in making flavored syrups for coffee
and icy confections. They do have a 'neutral' flavor base that is just
dietary fiber, liquid splenda and water, but I have an objection to using a
tablespoon or 2 of liquid to do what I used to be able to do with 10 or 15
drops. NF and SynergyDiet.com have been unable to actually get permission to
start importing and selling liquid splenda. [naturesFlavors used to have a
line of slightly vanilla flavored liquid splenda. I am trying to get them to
make condensed sweetening flavoring by omitting the texturizers and most of
the water from some of their syrups, but it isn't working. Next is seeing if
I can commission a custom batch of flavor 'syrup' that has 1/4 the water of
their regular syrups and 1/4 the texturizers, so I just have to use a tsp
instead of a tbsp. Or I may decide to fly down to Rio and buy a few cases of
splenda down there ;-(]
margali

the quote starts here:
Can you bake with Splenda? Does it have the same kitchen properties as
regular sugar?

> It's kinda like the great vitamin hustle- if you're
> basicly healthy and eating a varied and reasonably
> well-balanced diet to begin with, vitamin supplements
> will either poison you if they're one of the ones you
> can't easily excrete, or be excreted, if you take them
> in excess of your bodily needs. Either way, Madison
> Avenue has sold another product.

*BINGBINGBING* We have a winner! I *WISH* I could get my patients to
understand this! Of course, 90-odd percent of Americans DON'T get a
sufficiently balanced diet, so I do believe a multi-vitamin (ONE tablet,
thank you) every day isn't a bad idea for most folks.

Avraham