[Sca-cooks] Need help with a recipe

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Mar 16 05:19:04 PST 2002

I would like to make the following recipe from Forme of Cury for the 14th
century English feast I'll be doing in conjunction with our passage of arms
at the end of June.  I'd really like it to be the showpiece of the second
course, but the more I look at it, the more questions I have about how to
actually do it.  If anyone has done it, or can lend any insight,  I'd really
appreciate it.

Founet.  Take almaundes unblaunched; grynde hem and draw hem up with gode
broth.  Take a lombe or a kidde and half rost hym, other the thridde part;
smyte hem in gobetes and cast hym to the mylke.  Take smale briddes yfarsyd
and ystyued, and do therto sugur, powdour of canell and salt.  Take yolkes of
ayren harde ysode and cleeve a two and plauntede with flour of canell, and
flourish the sewe above.  Take alkanet fryed and yfoundred in wyne & colour
hit above with a fether, and messe it forth.

What I'm seeing is that I make almond milk of unblanched almonds and broth;
partially roast a lamb, then cut it up and put it into the almond milk to
finish cooking.  I then take small birds stuffed (with what) and stewed (in
what) and put sugar, cinnamon, and salt on them.  Hard boiled egg yolks are
cut in two, probably sprinkled with cinnamon.  I see some small birds, and
some of the roasted/boiled lamb being put on a platter, hard cooked egg yolks
being sprinkled with cinnamon and set around them, and then the almond milk
broth being poured over the lot.  I then prepare the alkanet by sauteing it
(?) and dissolving it in wine (?) and use a feather to paint it or sprinkle
it over the top.

Presumably I can find a recipe in eother the same manuscript or a contempor
ary one for how to stuff and stew small birds and use that.  Not really
having access to quail and such, would Cornish hens be an appropriate
substitute for the small birds?  I know the hens are MUCH bigger then the
small birds the author was probably thinking about.

Am I on anything resembling the right track with this?

Brangwayna Morgan