Cast iron pots, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Ruperto de Nola, Libre del Coch

Melanie Unruh-Bays maredudd at caerthe.org
Tue Mar 19 12:50:27 PST 2002

Dick Wild's description sure sounds like our modern Dutch oven.

Having been toying with the idea of putting together a period camp cooking kit, I've been looking at the pot-bellied cast iron pots which are said to be direct descendants from Dutch supplies that were exported to Africa during the very beginning of the slave trade. The shape of these pots is the same as those used by Caroline Yeldham - the very nice lady who gave a talk at the first CooksCon and showed us nifty pictures of her kit that she cooks on at the English living history site that she participates in. So I thought I was pretty safe.

Then I hear that cast iron pots aren't period. Obviously pots built like the one at Mastermyr are period, but they're usually somewhat more expensive to obtain than the cast iron pots.  I haven't been able to confirm or refute this, and was wondering if anyone has definitive information either way, or can direct me to it.

Eirene