[Sca-cooks] beans and bean pots

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Mar 20 17:12:00 PST 2002

Helewyse asked:
>Ah but Philip what type of beans?  What period recipe?

Unfortunately, I suspect the baked bean dishes with
the New World beans probably end up tasting better.
This is one reason the New World varieties drove out
the Old World ones so quickly.

However, for some period recipes and info on period
beans you might check these files in the Florilegium:
beans-msg        (119K)  6/ 9/00    Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/beans-msg.html

peas-msg          (57K)  1/ 5/00    Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/peas-msg.html

Sometimes the dividing line between "pea" and "bean" is a
bit fuzzy, so I've listed both these files here as there is
likely some overlap.

Stefan li Rous