[Sca-cooks] horseradish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 21 23:03:57 PST 2002

Margaret said:
> The traditions in question are eating charoset and bitter herbs (usually
> horseradish) mixed together on matzoh, and then together between two
> pieces of matzoh as a sandwich.

Interesting. The only other mention that I've seen of horseradish is
eating the root, usually made into a paste or sauce.

Does anyone know of any other use of, period or modern, horseradish
leaves?

Perhaps they are just too bitter for folks to want to eat them
voluntarily. I assume that, unlike the root, they are not "hot".

For those who might be interested in horseradish root eating see:
horseradish-msg   (24K) 10/29/01    Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/horseradish-msg.html

Also, does horseradish grow in the Middle East? Or is this use of
horseradish leaves as a bitter herb something that the Jews picked up
in Europe?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net