[Sca-cooks] horseradish

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 22 03:37:32 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Margaret said:
>>  The traditions in question are eating charoset and bitter herbs (usually
>>  horseradish) mixed together on matzoh, and then together between two
>>  pieces of matzoh as a sandwich.
>
>Interesting. The only other mention that I've seen of horseradish is
>eating the root, usually made into a paste or sauce.
>
>Does anyone know of any other use of, period or modern, horseradish
>leaves?
>
>Perhaps they are just too bitter for folks to want to eat them
>voluntarily. I assume that, unlike the root, they are not "hot".

I would assume the contrary, as with things like radish sprouts and
mustard greens, which can be at least sharp and bitter, if not
actually "hot". But I also believe the root is being referred to.
"Herb" can have a broad definition other than the standard botanical
one of an annual plant, or the usual culinary definition of the
leaves thereof. We are, after all, dealing with the translated
language of another culture.

Adamantius