[Sca-cooks] bread bowls

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Mar 25 09:51:56 PST 2002

Sieggy commented:
>    Make bread bowls or coffins instead of using bowls.
>Cheap, impressive, edible.

Yes, bread bowls can be convenient for many situations. A
reminder though, that these do not appear to have been done
in period. Trenchers, yes. Bread bowls, no.

Also, coffins were cooking containers, and perhaps serving
containers. They were not eaten directly out of. I suspect
it would have been like plopping the KFC box or (if you
remember them, the barrels) in the middle of the table
and eating out of that. Or taking the pot off the stove
and putting it in the middle of a formal dinner.

Of course, I'm always open to hearing of evidence that
indicates otherwise.

Stefan li Rous