[Sca-cooks] cabbage roll recipe

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Mar 28 10:45:24 PST 2002

Margali,
I don't have a real recipe, just what I've developed over the years.

Get the biggest head or two of green cabbage you can find.
Use your favorite meatloaf recipe for the filling.
I trim the cabbage, then stick a meat fork into the core.
Bring a kettle of water to a boil (make sure it's large enough to completely
cover the head of cabbage.
Stick the cabbage into the boiling water.  After 3 or 4 minutes, check to see
if the outer leaves are supple. If they are, run under cold water until you can
cut them off at the core. Cut out the heavy rib.

Fold a mound of filling inside the cabbage leaf.  Roll and set aside.

After you've used up all the filling, chop the rest of the cabbage and place it
into the bottom of a casserole dish big enough to hold all your cabbage rolls.

Then, I spread a can of sauerkraut over the whole thing and a can or two of
chopped stewed tomatoes. Cover and bake at 350 deg. until the cabbage and
filling are thoroughly cooked. I usually cook for an hour or two.

I've been known to freeze and reheat these.  The flavor does change a bit, but
it's still acceptable.

Sometimes, I intersperse stuffed bell peppers among the cabbage rolls for a bit
of a different flavor.

Liadan