[Sca-cooks] making accomodations was Re: I quit

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Thu Mar 28 16:17:32 PST 2002

I am currently organizing the merchants for an event in the Midrealm in
April (Baron Wars, come it will be fun email me privately for details).
One of the questions on my merchant questionnaire was "Do you have any
health issues we need to be aware of." From this question I have four
merchants with serious health concerns.  None of whom are in a
wheelchair but have arthritis, damaged backs, triple bypass or have MS.
Those merchants have requested a spot close to either the road or
bathroom facilities.  Although all the rest of the merchants will get a
first come/first serve merchanting location there will be four spots
marked off for "disabled" merchants.  My next problem is that the
parking at this site (a boy scout camp) is limited in the extreme.  So
now I am fighting with the autocrat to have reserved parking spaces too.
 Fortunately there are handicapped accesable bathrooms on site (one less
thing to worry about). But the roads are rough and the site is
advertised as pseudo handicapped accesable (with the emphasis on
pseudo).
What I am trying to say is that things can be done, but there is only so
far you can go sometimes when you have a site as primitive as a boy
scout camp.  As to why we chose to place our event there.  Well the
alternative (which while accesable is ugly) is a county fair ground.
Where does the balance fall between providing a cool, primitive camping
experience and providing access to all.  We try but I don't know how
many people don't come to the event because they don't contact the
autocrat and ask for accomodation, even if it is only a named parking
space closer than 1/2 mile away.
I guess in conclusion that there are people who try, but unless you ask
how will you know what accomodations can be made.
Helewyse