[Sca-cooks] Handicapped/Disabled [Was I quit]

Giovanna Lamberti giolamb at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 07:31:51 PST 2002

Last year at one of our area's larger events, the martial activities were
across the street from the main hall.  In order to take a shortcut, you had to
go down a small but steep hill, or go around to a dirt road.  I saw a
gentleman in a wheelchair sitting by the side of the road in apparent
contemplation.  I surveyed the situation and thought, there are no pedestrian
crosswalks, it's a fairly busy road... it was obvious to me that he would be
placing himself in great risk if he were to begin crossing this road and some
speeding car were to fly by at the same time.  I think you get the picture.

I went over to him and asked if he wanted to get down to the fighting field,
which he did, but was not sure how he'd get back to the main area.  I told him
to "hold on, we're in for a bumpy ride", and pushed him to where he wanted to
go.  I then lined up a few fencers and fighters to assist him from thereon,
made sure he was comfortable, and left him to enjoy the days activities.

I say this not to toot my own horn, I believe it is something any good SCAdian
(or person) would do, but to point out a couple of things we discussed along
the way.  Mainly, many people are afraid of offending someone who is mobility
impaired. For some unknown reason, a wheelchair is frightening. They don't
want to do anything which would upset a person in a 'chair.  Believe it or
not, there are quite a few who refuse any kind of assistance and will verbally
attack an offer of help as though it were an insult to them.  Also, sometimes
asking for help is too hard, be it pride or that it only emphasizes the
impairment.  Again, the fear of insulting a person is greater than the risk of
helping, so a kind deed goes left undone.  On the other hand, I think that if
a person needs help, it is their responsibility to ask.  In our Society, I
don't know of anyone that would ever refuse a request such as that.  I would
like to believe that most people in the SCA would go out of their way to offer
assistance, but sometimes we just don't know when assistance is needed.

Granted, not all sites are ADA compliant or accessible, and I agree that when
planning an event, that is not on the list of priorities.  However, I believe
that with a little bit of forewarning and planning, accomodations can be made
without a total overhaul of a group's plans in order to assist a mobility
impaired person.  In essence, I believe the responsibility goes both ways.

Just my .02 worth.

Giovanna