[Sca-cooks] re: herbal question

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 09:10:30 PST 2002

>A friend gave me a rosemary plant last Spring.  I used most of the
> >branches this year while cooking.  When the cooler temps. of autumn >hit,
>I brought it inside and put it in a sunny window.  Now all I have >left is
>the main branch, which looks like a dead twig. I kept it >watered but it
>still dried up.

>Is there any hope that my plant is still alive, (wishful thinking that
> >it's dormant) or did I commit *herbalcide*?

>Giovanna [the herbal impaired]

I'm no expert, but I believe rosemary is grown in both hot temps like here
in California, and in cooler temps.  My rosemary bush has survived a LOT of
damage, and a recent frost a few weeks back (weird weather here).

So, my suggestion, unless there is snow outside, stick the plant outside in
a sunny location.  I don't think keeping it indoors is a good idea at all
(central heat tend to dry up plants).  Clip the tips off, water it well, and
let it go.  Since April is coming up, you MAY want to head to the garden
shop and get some plant food, but ask the professionals there if you should
or not.  I always do things with my plants in a rather aggressive manner, so
it may not work the same for you either.

Hope this helps!  Good luck with the plant!

--Arte