[Sca-cooks] Re: Poke salad

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Fri Mar 29 15:03:44 PST 2002

I knew it was edible but missed out on the harvest last year.  Poke weed
is the bane of my life.  My garden is full of the d*** stuff. And
becuase it has long roots and I refuse to use poison I wage war on it
every year.  Pulling it up only to see another sprout in less than a
week. If I eat it at least I'll get something out of that bloody weed:-)
Talking of Gardens it is time to think of seeds anyone got any
recomendations for out of the ordinary plants.  I already plant 90%
heirloom tomato varieties, they yeild and taste better.  Squash is a no
go thanks to vine borer so I was thinking of planting gourds (possibly
swan neck or bottle) this year.
Helewyse