[Sca-cooks] Whole to ground spice equivalents

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 14:57:35 PST 2002

I realize that there's no exact way to substitute ground for whole
spices or vice versa. But if some of you could please give me some
suggestions.

I'm writing up some recipes for an occasional cooking booklet
published in our Kingdom of historical dishes suitable for camping,
since that's what we mostly do.

I'm trying to suggest some substitutes for whole or ground spices,
specifically:
cinnamon (sticks and powder)
galangal (dried slices and powder)
parsley (fresh chopped and dried)

Any other suggestions for equivalencies other commonly used Medieval
spices would also be helpful for other situations.

Thanks,

Anahita