[Sca-cooks] Hungarian Torta

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Sun Mar 31 05:04:03 PST 2002

In Redon's "The Medieval Kitchen", recipe 88 is for a "Hungarian Torta".
Has anyone made this dish? Does it really serve 12? Can I substitute
olive oil +/- butter for the lard? (Several reasons: 1. I don't have a
cholesterol problem, but my guests might; 2. I don't care for the taste;
3. I'm not about to render it myself, and the stuff you buy in the
butter case often has off flavors, lard is more sensitive than butter.)
How MUCH oil is equivalent to a pound of melted lard?

Thanks!

Avraham