[Sca-cooks] SPIROL CUT HAM

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 31 22:58:09 PST 2002

Adamantius said:
> I'm in the mood for seafood. I have
> some large tins of scungilli (one of the better forms of canned
> seafood; at least, closer to the fresh article than most)

And what is this "scungilli"? Is it a particular type of fish? of
seafood? or is it a variety of things prepared a special way?

> which I may
> saute in a vaguely Provencale (olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, white
> wine, herbs,  a caper and/or an olive or two) sauce, and serve it
> with saffron rice.

Sounds wonderful. Since the scungilli is canned, is it already
cooked, so you just saute it or warm it up?

> I also have a 5-lb box of frozen whole prawns,

When you say "whole", do you mean with the head? Do you cut off
the head? shell the shrimp?

> which could end up sauteed with mondo garlic and olive oil,
> essentially sauced with a shrimp-flavored bagna cauda. For this I
> would prolly just serve bread and salad.
>
> I also have a wheel of rabbit sausage in there... hmmm. Maybe with
> roasted onions and applesauce?

All this sounds good. A "wheel" of rabbit sausage? I thought sausages
were done in links. This is the first I've heard of a shape other
than a link, or cross-sections from a link or just loose sausage
resembling simple ground meat.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net