[Sca-cooks] SPIROL CUT HAM

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 31 20:16:32 PST 2002

Phillipaasked:

> There *is* such a thing?  What does prosciutto mean? I always thought it was
> a type of ham.

Well, I'm not sure about "prosciutto, but we had a discussion here
a while back where Adamantius commented that it is only today that
"ham" means pork to most folks. That at one time other types of
animals were included. So if "prosciutto" has a similar meaning
perhaps that is why there might actually be different animals used
in different prosciuttos.

I think you can find some info on this in this file:
ham-msg           (41K)  9/27/01    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/ham-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net