[Sca-cooks] tortilla

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 31 22:21:33 PST 2002

In the Travel section of today's paper (Austin American-Statesman)
there was a statement that made me think of period breads.

In an article on touring Spain, they said "...yes, try the tortilla,
which in Spain is a thick, eggy, pancake that bears no resemblance
to the corn or flour disk of the same name."

However, I'm wondering if indeed there is a connection. That when
the Spanish Conquistadors saw the flat bread of the Mexican natives
that they transferred the name to this dish from this other dish
which they were familar with from home.

It is also possible that the Spanish bread described here is a new
creation since the 1600s or evolved from something else of that time.

Brighid or Vincente, have you any comments on this from your studies
of period Spanish food?

Thanks,
  Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net