[Sca-cooks] Steak (was Big Eggs)

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Mar 1 04:46:02 PST 2002

> My preference for rarer
> meats is in more or less polar opposition to the way I was brought
> up. Beef was cheap, tough, and darnit, it should be _cooked_. Only
> when I began to pay for my own steaks did it occur to me (thanks to
> the suggestion of a nameless waiter at one of those Old New York
> steak houses, who told me they simply don't recommend well-done
> steaks: they would cook it that way, but, essentially, would bear no
> responsibility if it wasn't good that way, so perhaps I might like to
> try it medium or medium rare?) that the flavor of the meat itself,
> rather than that of the seasonings and the browned outside surface,
> was a wonderful thing. It was simply a new, and pleasant, experience.

On the other hand, my grandfather z"lt taught me to eat steaks the way he
did - mooing. He used to describe his preferred steak as "slap it on the *ss
and chase it through the kitchen". Which always (free association) reminds
me of Churchill's description of making a martini - "Wave the bottle of
vermouth at the gin so that it gets a good look and return it to the shelf."

Avraham