[Sca-cooks] Big Eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 1 04:11:35 PST 2002

Also sprach Mina:
>"OK.  What's a yabbie?  A goanno?  What do they look like?  (now watch..a
>yabbie is probably a lizard and I already know what they look like!).
>Olwen who I think is now on digest form (or maybe not)."
>
>A yabbie is a fresh water crayfish , they can grow quiet large but most are
>between 30 and 50 cm long when eaten, picture a small lobster which is brown
>and you ahve a rough visual, (they are farmed here now as well),

Okay, so they sound like a real, honest-to-gosh prawn, as in Dublin
Bay Prawn (which also looks more like a lobster than like a shrimp).

<snip>

>and I will be the first to admit that I have gone from a chargrilled must be
>dead meat eater to a medium to rare one, (amazing how pregnancies change
>your pallet)
>
>but with some things it is best not to risk it,

Sometimes, if you think carefully about _why_ you're doing something,
you find that your reason is "It is done this way because this is the
way it has always been done." And then, sometimes all it takes is
exposure to something a little different. My preference for rarer
meats is in more or less polar opposition to the way I was brought
up. Beef was cheap, tough, and darnit, it should be _cooked_. Only
when I began to pay for my own steaks did it occur to me (thanks to
the suggestion of a nameless waiter at one of those Old New York
steak houses, who told me they simply don't recommend well-done
steaks: they would cook it that way, but, essentially, would bear no
responsibility if it wasn't good that way, so perhaps I might like to
try it medium or medium rare?) that the flavor of the meat itself,
rather than that of the seasonings and the browned outside surface,
was a wonderful thing. It was simply a new, and pleasant, experience.

Adamantius