[Sca-cooks] Irish Stew recipe

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Mar 1 15:17:15 PST 2002

>I am looking for an Irish Stew recipe 10 to 14 century  any takers?
>
>Jaime

I don't think you will find one. So far as I know, there are no
period Irish cookbooks. And you don't get anything much like a modern
stew in the English cookbooks, which do go back to the end of your
period. There's a "beef y-stewed," but the only vegetable, as best I
recall, is onions.

Sorry. As a general rule, one does better starting with a
cuisine--15th century Italian, say--and seeing what recipes exist
than starting with a particular sort of recipe and a cuisine and
hoping that that cuisine not only had that kind of recipe but
recorded it.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/