[Sca-cooks] Irish Stew recipe

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Mar 2 14:02:55 PST 2002

Cathal Cowan and Regina Sexton's work
Ireland's Traditional Foods, which was
published in 1997 for the GEIE/ Euroterroirs
project, has a short section on "Irish Stew"
or Struisin Gaelach. Sexton maintains that
a rudimentary form of Irish stew was current
as early as the seventh century.... It would
have been made from the meat of "dressed
wethers (castrated male sheep) that had been
delivered as payments for rents and taxes.
The meat was boiled with whatever available
cereal there was and whatever vegetables and
or potherbs that were at hand. This probaby
would have included onions at times.
Potatoes were added to the making of the
dish in the late 17th century and replaced the
cereal portion. [page 35]

For more on Irish foods, see also Brid Mahon's
Land of Milk and Honey. I hope to be able
to provide a review of the new OUP work
Feast and Famine in a few days. My copy is on
order.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway