[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Mar 3 17:59:19 PST 2002

> Also sprach Barbara Benson:
> >Actually, I did realise that he was being...sarcastic...but I also think
that there is an imaginary list going on out there. The good gentles who
have been in the SCA for longer than I automatically know of what dishes He
is speaking of, but I, being but an egg, do not.<<
> >I have several times searched diligently through a manuscript and
"discovered" an interesting recepit only to have my bubble burst upon
learning that particular dish had been done to death.<<

> Very common dishes that might distinguish SCA cuisine from muchmedieval
European cuisine, by dint of overemphasis, or at leastextremely typical at
SCA feasts:

> Roast Beef in almost any form, with or without sauces
> Savory Toasted Cheese, which is post-period
> Any kind of custard tart, usually served as a 9-inch pie
> Modern stew recipes with the potatoes, etc., omitted
> One of two mushroom dishes, either Funges or late-period pickled mushrooms
> Saffron rice served as a pilaf (essentially modern, but with Southern
European precedents in period)
> Pies of Paris (usually a pork and fruit filling)
> Roast Chicken, which is cheap, easy to prepare, makes a good vehicle for a
good sauce, etc.
> Adamantius

    ADD:  Armoured Turnips;  Glazed Carrots;  Onion Soup;   Beef Barley
Soup;   and Rice with Peas /Mushrooms.
     I've read thru my _Sage Advice_ and the menus are stagnating!!  One
would think  Baronies with Cooking Guilds {even if  "incipient" Guilds}
could develop better menus than:  "Baron of beef, Sroganoff with Noodles,
Great Brine Shrimp Scampi, French Onion Soup, Glazed Corrots [sic] and Bread
& Cheese."  *Or*  "Soup, Breads, Beef, Salmon & Desert [sic]"   <sigh>

    I'm so glad my "fosterling" Barony keeps a bit more authentic than any
of that!  {Yallo, Mst Maire!}

    Caointiarn