[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 4 03:34:23 PST 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Digby's _cheesecake_? Doesn't sound familiar...what am I forgetting?

Digby does have at least one such recipe. I think the one people are
thinking of when they speak of Digby's cheesecakes starts out with
_milking the cow_, and ending up with a nutmeg-and-clove-spiced
cheesecake, IIRC. It also includes pastry instructions for the crust,
which is somewhat unusual, and it also is pretty darned good. Around
here in my neck of the East, it's not hugely overdone.

>Someone in the barony sometimes makes gingerbread for a fundraiser, but
>the rest of your list...nope.

Cooks around here are fairly big on Funges, as I mentioned, but there
used to be, at least, a lot of Stuffed Mushroom variants.

>   Just made crust o' tame critturs for the
>first time oh, a month ago, and found it quite tasty--would have been
>even better with fresh herbs, but this is definitely the wrong time of
>year for those (at least, within *my* budget).  Have thought about doing
>Icelandic chicken, but no one in these parts has actually done it.

Again, Icelandic Chicken used to be very common, but I haven't seen
it in quite a while. I've been thinking of serving it again, under
its Latin name in the Harpestrang manuscripts, just to mess with
people's brains.

>Maybe it's a regional thing? Dependent on local markets? or whether
>you've got access to larger markets/cities?

Probably. Also what people in a given area deem exotic, and
simultaneously, not exotic, but familiar.

Adamantius