[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list was Re: Irish Stew recipe

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Mar 4 04:22:28 PST 2002

> I confess I haven't the patience to do really spectacular dayboards.
> Maybe if I only had to do a dayboard and didn't see them as a
> distraction from the feast, it would be different. I generally
> provide a meat pottage and a vegetable pottage, garnishes to dress
> them up a bit, bread, and fruit. I've occasionally made large
> herbolastes, not exactly to order, but large ones in 16",
> oven-friendly saute pans, about every 15 minutes, so they don't sit
> out and become slimy concrete.

We did something similar for dayboard at our MSR Valentine's event... I
wouldn't call it "spectacular", but it was more than the average dayboard.
Homebaked bread, a beef-and-mushroom soup (the leftovers we turned into
gravy for the roast beef with more beef base and some thickeners), a
vegetable soup (the leftovers got turned into a vegetarian stew for dinner
with some additional different veggies and a torn-bread thickener),
red-colored hard-boiled eggs (it WAS a Valentines event), cheese cubes and
sausages, and sekanjabin. The rest of dinner was the aforementioned
hunks-o-roasted-beef... and I've gone brain-dead on the rest of the menu.
Dessert was baked apples, cherry bread pudding, sugared almonds, candied
orange peel, and some gorgeous heart-shaped molded anisette cookies.

Avraham