[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Mar 4 08:35:56 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> By the way does anyone know why people insist on serving Tart for Ember
> Day all the time? I mean, even medieval people only ate the stuff 4 times
> a year, as far as I can tell.
>
> "Ember day: A day reserved for prayer and fasting by some Christian
> churches, observed on the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday after the first
> Sunday of Lent, after Whitsunday, after September 14, and after December
> 13." -- American Heritage Dictionary

Lack of imagination combined with a vague attempt to keep the vegivores
quiet?

> -- Jadwiga, who is not looking forward to the necessity of learning to
> bake pies in order to be considered an authentic cook.

Bah! Anybody can learn how to bake pies (except, apparently, my sister,
who completely lacks the pie-crust-making gene).

Cook's Illustrated has a teeny little hardcover book entitled _How to
Make a Pie_, with which I gifted the sibling a couple years ago for the
generic winter holiday (an act which earned me a serious Look of Death). I
read it before wrapping it up, and it's a nice little treatise on the
subject. Amazon and Barnes & Noble both carry it for about $12, and it's
well worth the price.

Margaret FitzWilliam