[Sca-cooks] Food rant...

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 09:18:53 PST 2002

--- Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net> wrote:

> It seems to become harder and harder to find simple
> crushed/diced canned
> tomatoes.  The stuff on the shelves is all
> pre-seasoned ad nauseam.  This
> style and that style of canned tomatoes.  Yerch.

Generally in the Midwest, I've only been able to find
them in the big cans- best bet is looking at the store
brands, which tend to be much slower about following
the latest food fads. Of course, you can always get
the whole tomatoes and chop or smoosh them yourself
(canned whole, I mean- it's a bit early to find edible
fresh tomatoes in the stores).

> Then, of course, finding HIGH fat yogourt is
> impossible.  All the yogourt I
> can seem able to find is this low fat, reduced fat,
> no fat shit.  Hell,
> they even have lowfat butter!  Ha!

Well, for some reason, yogurt's classed as a diet
food, which makes it a bit tough for those of us who
aren't on diets to get the flavors and calories we
want. As it is, I've been getting whole milk and
adding heavy cream so I can drink smoething that bears
a resemblence to something which once had an
acquaintance with a cow, instead of that nasty chalk
water they're chargibg $2.00 + per gallon for. I like
MILK with my chocolate chip cookies, damn it, and so
does the irrepressible Bonzer.

> <grumble grumble>

Tell you what- I'll send you some dried tomatoes, and
my hot pepper blend, when the growing season opens up
;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,