[Sca-cooks] Food rant- OT OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 4 11:24:28 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> It seems to become harder and harder to find simple crushed/diced canned
> tomatoes.  The stuff on the shelves is all pre-seasoned ad nauseam.  This
> style and that style of canned tomatoes.  Yerch.

Store brand/off brand? They have them at Safeway around here. Did you
trip an employee and ask? (It works- I do it all the time!)

> Then, of course, finding HIGH fat yogourt is impossible.  All the yogourt I
> can seem able to find is this low fat, reduced fat, no fat shit.  Hell,
> they even have lowfat butter!  Ha!

I haven't seen lowfat butter, though I gotta wonder, with it over $4 an
pound! What are we paying for, anyway? ACK!

The yogurt? You could try a health food store. In Eugene they carry a
local creamery's yogurt and milk and such in all of the groceries (and
Nancy's is pretty good!). In Portland I just go to Safeway- consistent
at least. I get the fat free because I am under orders (BP 165/110,
cholesterol 237) and every little bit helps. But my problem? Why is it
if you get lowfat they so often assume you don't want real sugar? The
Tall Worshipped One came in recently with yogurt for me, but I couldn't
eat it because it had nutrasweet in it. I have encountered a couple
places where that is all they have. I want REAL SUGAR! And I want REAL
CAFFEINE! And REAL BUTTER! And REAL FRUIT BITS- not this jam-like
flavoring agent. And REAL JUICE!- not 'Juice Drink'! Come to think of
it, I want real tomatoes and apples and... ooohhh and I WANT REAL
CHEESE!! No additive nonsense!

> <grumble grumble>

Yup. Our Friendly Neighborhood Grumbler (TM) (accept no substitutes!)

;-)
'Lainie