[Sca-cooks] Food rant- OT OOP

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 11:48:34 PST 2002

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
 I want REAL
> SUGAR! And I want REAL
> CAFFEINE! And REAL BUTTER! And REAL FRUIT BITS- not
> this jam-like
> flavoring agent. And REAL JUICE!- not 'Juice Drink'!
> Come to think of
> it, I want real tomatoes and apples and... ooohhh
> and I WANT REAL
> CHEESE!! No additive nonsense!

Yeah, really. I like REAL FOOD in my food ;-) It's
frustrating, too, for those of us who are at a
reasonable weight, with good health, who like the Real
Stuph (tm) as part of a balanced diet. I may be
scaring the blazes out of half a century, but I've got
good BP (110-120 over 70-80), a good choleresterol
count (usually about 175- went up to 205 right after a
steak dinner with all the trimmings) and no history of
health problems, other than having a tendency to get
injured (horses, motorcycles, skiing, other
activities).

My system is usually pretty responsive, too- if I get
a taste for something, I usually need the nutrients in
it. Normally this time of year, I'm backing down into
a low-carb preference, preparing for summer (my weight
variance is seasonal- I'm usually about 10 lbs heavier
in winter than in summer), but this year, I'm wanting
lots of carbs and fats, although my activity level
isn't very high.

Suspect it might be easier for the rest of us to find
Real Food if the Yuppies weren't so interested in
sitting on their cans, eating fast foods until they
suffer the consequences of inactivity and overeating,
then going to the other exreme and closing the barn
door a little late- doing "super nutrition"
(translate, fad diets, with water and vitimins in
place of food), most of which tastes nasty, and
expensive health club memberships, most of which lapse
shortly because they try to do everything at once and
hurt themselves.

Sigh. Margali, think we're gonna have a BIG garden
this year......Wonder if I can find some real aggs and
milk anywhere nearby- not into messing with chickens
and a cow or a goat.....Rabbits, now.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,