[Sca-cooks] Food rant- OT OOP

bruyere at mind.net bruyere at mind.net
Mon Mar 4 12:14:27 PST 2002

> Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>
> > It seems to become harder and harder to find simple crushed/diced canned
> > tomatoes.  The stuff on the shelves is all pre-seasoned ad nauseam.  This
> > style and that style of canned tomatoes.  Yerch.
>
> Store brand/off brand? They have them at Safeway around here. Did you
> trip an employee and ask? (It works- I do it all the time!)

I find it works best finding the department manager, as they already are
familiar with store/company policies (Safeway no longer allows individual
stores to stock locally produced items, like the local Pyramid Juice Co.), are
familiar with what is available to them, and will be probably pleased pink to
get some feedback he can respond to. And can answer your questions pretty much
on thes spot. Clerks tend to point you to the aisle you just scrutinized
already.

> > Then, of course, finding HIGH fat yogourt is impossible.  All the yogourt I
> > can seem able to find is this low fat, reduced fat, no fat shit.  Hell,
> > they even have lowfat butter!  Ha!
>
> I haven't seen lowfat butter, though I gotta wonder, with it over $4 an
> pound! What are we paying for, anyway? ACK!

Every thought about making your own? The hardest part is getting a decent
starter of real yougurt (I use Nancy's, that 'Lainie mentioned). I'm not sure
if the culture of non-fat and low-fat yougurts is the same culture as all
yougurts. I have a modern friend who can't handle the gelatin and other
interesting stuff in commercial sour cream, and I gave her a recipe for making
sour cream (smetana) and were to find a good straight starter sour cream
(Ashland is a health food/natural food haven)

> cholesterol 237) and every little bit helps. But my problem? Why is it
> if you get lowfat they so often assume you don't want real sugar? The
> Tall Worshipped One came in recently with yogurt for me, but I couldn't
> eat it because it had nutrasweet in it. I have encountered a couple
> places where that is all they have. I want REAL SUGAR! And I want REAL
> CAFFEINE! And REAL BUTTER! And REAL FRUIT BITS- not this jam-like
> flavoring agent. And REAL JUICE!- not 'Juice Drink'! Come to think of
> it, I want real tomatoes and apples and... ooohhh and I WANT REAL
> CHEESE!! No additive nonsense!

I have a difficult time understanding why they even put _sugar_ in the yougurt.
It's yougurt, not melted ice cream.

Edouard