[Sca-cooks] Ember Day

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Mar 4 11:28:35 PST 2002

Whitsun or whit sunday comes from
the white robes of those baptized on
that Sunday. It's the seventh sunday
after Easter. The tradition of Ember Fasts
dates back to Pope Leo I (440-461).
Dec. 13th is St. Lucy or Santa Lucia.
There are three days of fasting after her
day, being the Wednesday, Friday, and
Saturday following. Then Ember Fasts
follow after the first
Sunday in Lent and then after Whit Sunday.
(These two would have been movable dates,
dependent upon when Easter was held.)
September 14 is Holy Cross Day or Holy Rood
Day and marks the date that Constantine
dedicated the basilica on the site of the
Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem; during it's
construction the true and holy cross was found
supposively at the site, hence Holy Cross
Day. Source: The Oxford Companion to the Year.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis