[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 4 11:41:30 PST 2002

A F Murphy wrote:

> A couple of us are playing with this recipe. We're looking at the
> version with "grene cheese" in it, and looking for ideas. We are
> assuming this means an unripened cheese. What do people think the
> original author of the recipe might have been able to obtain, and so
> might have used? And what would be the closest thing we can get?

'Grene' has a number of meanings in the ME, from the color, to new,
unripe/untested, and pale. I would say they mean a light-colored, unripe
or fresh cheese. An you have a point that ricotta might not be
appropriate for England. Have you though about cottage cheese (farmer's
cheese)? You can get it in dry curd as well and the usual in little
tubs, so you can adjust the moisture levels. And if you 'press it
through a straynour' (or run through a blender) you won't have the funny
lumps.

(I didn't answer earlier because I didn't have my ME Handbook with
me...)

'Lainie