[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Mar 4 15:44:34 PST 2002

Adamantius commented:
> Again, Icelandic Chicken used to be very common, but I haven't seen
> it in quite a while. I've been thinking of serving it again, under
> its Latin name in the Harpestrang manuscripts, just to mess with
> people's brains.

Well, in more ways than "messing with people's brains" labeling
it this way might be good. This recipe is not from Iceland as
other discussions about the Harpestrang manuscripts have
pointed out. I think it would be a good idea to start
dis-associating this dish with Iceland.

Perhaps you could list the Latin name for this dish in
your menus, followed by something like "(erroneously
called 'Icelandic Chicken', even though the recipe is
from southern Europe)"

Stefan li Rous

Those wondering about this and wanting more info about
the Harpestrang manuscripts should check this file in
the Florilegium:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Harpstrang-cb-msg.html