[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart grene cheese

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Mar 4 18:25:47 PST 2002

> A couple of us are playing with this recipe. We're looking at the version
with "grene cheese" in it, and looking for ideas. We are assuming this means
an unripened cheese. What do people think the original author of the recipe
might have been able to obtain, and so might have used? And what would be
the closest thing we can get?
> I brightly asked this when many of you were off at Estrella... I did get
one answer, suggesting ricotta, which seems a place to begin. <

    Because it was something I have looked into  -- ricotta is made from the
whey of making cheese.  The 2nd batch of cheese as it were.  So, yes ricotta
is reasonable.  Dry curd cottage cheese, farmer's cheese, any soft cheese is
reasonable; tho not "cream cheese."   See if there is a cheese specialty
shop in your area & visit.  Maybe check out the local  "organic" "natural"
health food store.  {whatever it's called}  for soft cheeses  -- try goat
milk cheese, or other "not cow" varieties.

 Have you thought to make your own "soft cheese?"  A cheese made from yogurt
is soft & unripened.  Or running the whole she-bang of obtaining  {raw}
unhomogenized milk, and a starter {rennet?} use a book on "how to" from the
Library.  If not an older cookbook from your own collection.   I found a
cool chapter in a cookbook that lurked from my Sweetie's collection about
stockpiling your own foods.   The most complicated tool is a temperature
gauge.

    Caointiarn