[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart grene cheese

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Mar 5 03:26:01 PST 2002

>  Have you thought to make your own "soft cheese?"  A cheese made from
yogurt
> is soft & unripened.  Or running the whole she-bang of obtaining  {raw}
> unhomogenized milk, and a starter {rennet?} use a book on "how to" from
the
> Library.  If not an older cookbook from your own collection.   I found a
> cool chapter in a cookbook that lurked from my Sweetie's collection about
> stockpiling your own foods.   The most complicated tool is a temperature
> gauge.

Easier yet - take a gallon of milk and a quart of buttermilk. Heat together,
and keep it between 180-195 degrees F. The acid will coagulate the proteins
and you will have (ta-da) made your own ricotta! This technique comes from
"Michael Chiarello's Napa" series on PBS. He says any acid will do.

Avraham