[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 4 22:59:13 PST 2002

Anne asked:
> OK, this dish turned up on the frequently done list, which emboldens me
> to repeat my question.

Yes, I remember the question. However, I figured someone more
knowledgable would answer.

> A couple of us are playing with this recipe. We're looking at the
> version with "grene cheese" in it, and looking for ideas. We are
> assuming this means an unripened cheese. What do people think the
> original author of the recipe might have been able to obtain, and so
> might have used? And what would be the closest thing we can get?

I don't think it says what cheese would be the best for this recipe,
however, this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium does have
a number of comments and lists of what cheeses today were available
in medieval times. Basically you are looking for a fresh, non-aged
cheese, and I think, one that has been pressed to remove the whey.
cheese-msg       (137K)  2/27/02    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net