[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter? No! No!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 19:53:16 PST 2002

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > Should i buy Scully's Neapolitan cookbook?
>  >
>  > Anahita
>
>Yes!  It is a wonderful book, just like all of his
>other books.  Do you also have Santich?
>
>The original Mediterranean cuisine : medieval
>recipes for today / Barbara Santich

This was perhaps my second period cook book. It's a favorite.

>   The medieval kitchen : recipes from France and Italy
>Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban, Silvano Serventi

This was my first period cook book - i got it when it was only out in
hardcover, right when i joined the SCA.

I've cooked from both of them.

>I consider all three "must have"s.

OK, then despite Giles' misgivings, i will get it... I think that
it's a bit expensive in the US, but i gather that what Giles paid in
Australia was an immense amount of money (yes, i know, dollars AUS
are not equal to dollars USA) and probably made it seem much more
disappointing.

And, i am NOT serving honey butter. No, no, no! I think, based on
various interesting messages i'll just be doing the plain butter.

I may also serve some other "spreads". I'll explore my Near Eastern
cookbooks. A local Persian shop sells "carrot spoon fruit" - not that
i think carrots are fruit, but the carrots are finely grated, cooked
with sugar, orange peel, sliced almonds, and spices. I vaguely recall
something slightly similar in something i read...

...although i think i have been dreaming recipes again. Before the
beef jerky thread came up, i swear i read a period Near Eastern
recipe for dried spiced meat that was eaten rehydrated, but although
i've read "Medieval Arab Cookery" three time since the thread
appeared, i cannot find it - i also checked a modern Middle Eastern
cookbook i had been reading, just to make sure i didn't see it there,
and can't find it...

Sigh

So perhaps i also hallucinated Medieval Near Eastern carrot sweets -
although there are quite a few carrot sweets in modern Persia and
India. If i don't find a "period" recipe, i'm not making it.

And i shall definitely be raiding the Florilegium for de Nola's
recipes, translated from the Spanish by Lady Brighid ni Ciarain.

Anahita
when researching for Iron Chef Persian, i dreamed Near Eastern
recipes and was sure they were real, but, well, they weren't. I
invented plausible, but not actual, Near Eastern recipes in my sleep.